What better time to start a healthy lifestyle! Choosing a balanced diet or healthy eating plan can get you on the right track. Here are ways to add more fruits and vegetables to your day.
- Aim to fill half of your plate with fruits and veggies at each meal and snack.
- Always stock frozen and canned fruits and vegetables for quick meal prep. Choose canned fruit and vegetables without added sugar, syrup, cream sauces, or other ingredients that will add calories.
- With breakfast, substitute spinach, onion, peppers, or mushrooms for one of the eggs or half the cheese in your morning omelet. This adds volume, but decreases fat!
- Add fruit to your whole grain cereals, yogurt, or waffles.
- Layer lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions, and other vegetables on your sandwiches or wraps.
- In chicken or tuna salad add an equal amount of fruits or veggies such as celery, grated carrots, cucumbers, apples, grapes, pineapple, or dried cranberries.
- Replace ½ pasta portion with vegetables topped with sauce.
- Make chili with ½ meat and replace with beans or veggies.
- Make a portabella mushroom or black bean burger instead of your traditional hamburger.