Cut the calories of your regular cornbread dressing by omitting the high fat ingredients and slow cooking. Chicken broth keeps the stuffing moist and flavorful.
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup diced celery, about 6 stalks
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6-7 cups cornbread crumbs, cook ahead of time and let dry out
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth, fat free, low sodium
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
In a large skillet add oil and cook celery and onion on medium-low heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Combine in a large mixing bowl cornbread crumbs, black pepper and salt. Add all remaining ingredients to cornbread mixture, stir well.
Lightly spray the inside of slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Add cornbread mixture and spread evenly. Cover and cook on low 4 hours. Recommend 5-6 quart slow cooker.
For additional browning, preheat oven to broil, use oven mitts and remove, oven safe, slow cooker insert, place on the middle oven rack.
Broil 5 – 8 minutes or until desired color is reached.
Nutritional value per ¾ cup serving:
Fat 6 gm
Sodium 263 mg
Go Healthy! Tip# 1
Don’t wear clothes that are baggy or have a stretchy waistband. Wearing a belt or clothing that is fitted around the waist can make you more aware of your fullness and cue you to stop eating.