On average, Americans eat less than the recommended amounts of vegetables and fruits according to the latest Department of Agriculture study. So, where does that leave local farmers and most importantly, how does that impact your health? A diet high in fruits and vegetables helps prevent chronic diseases and may decrease obesity prevalence according to the Centers for Disease Control. Chronic diseases are the main cause of death in the United States, and 34.9% of US adults and 17% of youth are obese.
The Farm to Work program is a service that works with local farmers to make fresh produce easily accessible and affordable for employees. Participants sign up to receive fresh, locally grown, and seasonal produce during growing seasons. Options to pay vary from credit cards to paying through a payroll deduction. The produce is then delivered directly to the worksite and distributed to employees.
You don’t just get a box of fresh fruit and veggies when participating in the Farm to Work program, some programs offer educational opportunities for employees and their families about the importance of fresh food and nutrition as well as healthy recipe ideas that you can prepare using the fresh ingredients straight from your Farm to Work box.
The goal of Farm to Work is to get people to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. The program not only encourages a healthier lifestyle, but also facilitates direct sales for family farmers, thus growing your local economy.
BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAM
- Surveyed participants report an increase in fruit and vegetable consumption.
- Locally grown foods are fresh and seasonal; each produce box contains a variety of vegetables and fruits.
- The farmer can form co-ops with other area farmers to provide the greatest variation for our participants.
- Helps support local economy and area farmers to compete in the global food marketplace.
- Saves participants money by eliminating the costs of shipping and storage fees that are added in at grocery stores.