Eating Healthy at Work: Tips for Keeping the Healthy Lives Fundamentals in your Workday by Marcy Bowman, RDN, CDE
- Plan Ahead – Not having healthy snacks or lunch options on hand makes it easy to give in to unhealthy food choices. If you are hungry and don’t have a healthy option readily available, it may be easier for you to choose unhealthy snacking from vending machines or other fast options. We are much more likely to have higher fat, calorie, and sodium intake when we dine out or grab “convenience” foods. Bringing leftovers or other meals prepared at home could save you money and calories. Planning and prepping your meals on the weekend puts you ahead of the game.
- Make time for meals and snacks – Your workday does not always allow an exact schedule. But do your best to carve out time for meals and snacks. Getting caught up in work and not taking the time for meals or snacks can backfire by making a person overly hungry, thus harder to make good food choices. Set aside 20-30 minutes to step away from your desk to enjoy your meal. You will come back refreshed and re-energized.
- Keep healthy snacks available – Look for snacks that are 100 calories or less per serving. Here are some healthy snack ideas:
- Fresh Fruit
- Carrots and cucumbers with hummus
- 94% fat free popcorn
- Lowfat yogurt
- 100 calorie portion of crackers, graham crackers, vanilla wafers, or animal crackers.
- Nuts, nut butters, and cheese can be healthy snack options. Aim for 1 ounce serving to help control calories.
- Start each day with a full water bottle and keep it at hand all day – Filling up on water during the day will not only keep you hydrated and energized, but it can keep you from feeling hungry, preventing excessive calorie intake.
If you would like to learn more about the Healthy Lives Fundamentals, please join us for an upcoming Go Healthy Workshop. During the Go Healthy Workshop, a health coach will introduce the Healthy Lives Fundamentals and show you how to incorporate them into your daily lifestyle. Including Healthy Lives Fundamentals into your everyday life, will help promote and maintain weight loss and help you meet many of your health goals.
Click here for healthy snacking!
Click here for Go Healthy Weight Workshop!