Headed out for a weekend getaway? You don’t have to eat unhealthy when you are traveling or eating out with friends and family. With a little planning and thoughtful choices, you can maintain a healthy diet.
Here are five ways to make healthier choices when eating out:
1. Plan ahead. Before you go, think about where you will eat and what you will select.
2. Control your portions. Restaurants often serve portions that are enough to feed two or three people. Ask to have a half-size portion of your meal and put the rest in a to-go box or split an entrée with someone.
3. Fill up on veggies and fruits. Choose items that contain fruits, vegetables and whole grains. You’ll fill up on healthier foods and have a more balanced meal.
4. Avoid all-you-can-eat and buffet-style restaurants. Unlimited refills and second helpings make it easier to overeat.
5. If you must eat fast food, choose the smallest-size meal and pair with a salad or fruit and water instead of fries and soda. Skip special sauces and cheese to reduce calories.