On a cold or rainy night, enjoy a bowl of this low-calorie and satisfying soup. Packed with flavor and nutrients, it’s sure to warm your soul!
2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 26-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable stock,
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked small macaroni
- 1/2 pound fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons store-bought pesto
In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions,carrots, celery, squash, garlic and thyme and sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the stock, tomatoes and the bay leaves. Season liberally with the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. Stir in the beans, cooked macaroni, spinach and pesto. Continue to cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until the spinach is wilted and the beans and macaroni are heated. Taste to adjust salt and pepper as needed.
This recipe makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information (2 cups per serving)
Total Fat 6.1 g
Sodium 243 mg
Carbohydrates 57.5 g