Traditional pesto is typically loaded with fat. This is a great alternative that removes most of the fat without sacrificing any of the flavor.
- 1 15 oz can white beans, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 cup packed baby spinach
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons toasted walnuts
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place all ingredients into a food processor. While processing on high, slowly add bean liquid until you reach your desired consistency. Toss with your favorite whole wheat pasta, veggies or use as a spread.
Makes 8 servings.
Per serving (3 tablespoons)
Total Fat 2.5g